- What is Nanobite Powder?
- What forms does Nanobite Powder come in?
- Where to use Nanobite Powder
- What are the advantages of using Nanobite Powder?
- How to apply Nanobite Powder
- Testing of Nanobite Powder
What is Nanobite Powder and How Does It Work?
Nanobite Powder is the European and Russian Federation trade name for a bioremediation accelerator known in the USA as PRP (Petroleum Remediation Product). Nanobite Powder is based on technology developed by NASA scientists and is an award-winning product included in the NASA Hall of Fame. It’s NATO Stock Number is NSN 4235-01-388-6027.
Made from powdered bees wax spheres, and is designed to absorb and remediate spilled oil, diesel and petrol on water and on land.
Nanobite Powder is used for the bio-remediation of hydrocarbon spills or leaks. It is made from completely natural products – the base product being bees wax – is inert and non-toxic. Nanobite Powder is an all natural hydrocarbon absorbent that attracts and stimulates the natural microbial population to degrade oil on land or water.
Nanobite Powder consists of tiny spheres of treated bees wax, which contain nutrients. When a wax sphere comes in contact with spilled oil, it “binds” with or “encapsulates” the hydrocarbons. Nutrients in the bees wax sphere help micro-organisms (microbes) from the immediate environment to grow very rapidly in number – a cocoon effect. These microbes eat every droplet of the hydrocarbons, breaking them down into the constituent parts – CO2 (carbon dioxide) and H2O (water). Nanobite Powder will absorb and remediate, over time, more than 20 times its weight in hydrocarbons.
Nanobite Powder uses an award winning NASA-developed encapsulation process enabling production of buoyant capsules, which never sink, even when fully saturated with oil. The uniqueness of Nanobite Powder and its delivery system is apparent when attempting to treat water borne hydrocarbons spills under different climatic conditions. Nanobite Powder serves as the initial catalyst in which the micro-organisms flourish and produce increased amounts of hydrocarbon-degrading enzymes.
Nanobite Powder comes in two forms – Powder and Bio-Booms
Powder is especially well adapted for land, water and hard surface petroleum spills in areas such as industrial plant settings (such as cooling ponds and tanks), shorelines – whether rocky or sandy – marinas, railroad tracks, oil wells/oil fields, airports, maintenance facilities and marshes/wetlands. Each kilogram of Nanobite Powder can bioremediate twenty kilograms of hydrocarbon powder. Methods of applying Nanobite Powder range from a simple hand sprinkle to portable, mechanised hydro seeders.
Bio-Booms are 1m, 2m or 3m cloth tubes that contain the powder. Bio-booms is the product of choice for quick containment of actual and anticipated oil and fuel spills on water. Kept near potential spill areas, bio-booms can be a ready response when a hydrocarbon spill occurs. Also, placed in a strategic locations, bio-booms can restrict the spread of an hydrocarbons.
When a spill happens in open water, containment is key. Bio-booms can contain a spreading spill while the Nanobite Powder inside consumes the pollution.Whether the spill is in open water, marinas, holding ponds or lagoons, bio-booms hold the spill in place while the Nanobite Powder works. Nanobite booms absorb hydrocarbons on a 20:1 ratio. Each kilogram of Nanobite Powder within a boom can bioremediate twenty kilograms of hydrocarbon, one kilogram at a time. The crystal Nanobite structure within a boom will last 12 months once introduced to the open environment. It is therefore recommended that you replace the boom at least every 12 months or when all the powder is used, whichever comes first.
In addition to quickly containing a hydrocarbon spill, this boom will also biodegrade the contaminant, then biodegrade itself. Because no secondary contaminants are left, your disposal costs are reduced or eliminated. At the end of the process you are left with an empty cotton sock that can be discarded in a standard rubbish bin.
Where to use Nanobite Powder
Nanobite Powder is especially well adapted for use on land, water and hard surfaces.
It can be used for various oil, fuel and other liquid petroleum hydrocarbon cleanup applications such as:
- Fuel or oil spilled on land or ground
- Oil contaminated railway lines
- Oil spills on rocky shorelines or on sandy beaches
- Cleaning the oil soaked feathers of sea fowl
- Contaminated inland waterways or marinas
- Hydraulic fluid spills in industrial plants
- Vehicle leaks
- Oil wells & oil field spills
- Transformer vaults
- Maintenance facilities
- On concrete such as airport taxiways, motorways and garage forecourts
- Interceptor tanks in garages, warehouses, airports and harbours
- Antifreeze lakes at airports
See Case Studies
What are the Advantages of Using Nanobite Powder?
- Nanobite Powder is a 100% natural way to bio-remediate oil, petrol, diesel and other hydrocarbon spills.
- It captures and erases oil spills with NASA based bio-remediation science
- It bonds with and converts the hydrocarbon into carbon dioxide and water
- It eliminates the viscosity of the oil so as to prevent skids
- It reduces the fire hazard of the spilled fuel
- The bi-products are non toxic and 100% environmentally safe.
- As spills are dealt with in situ, the expense of excavating and transporting away, sometimes abroad, are eliminated
- It is a non-invasive means of cleaning up nature’s mess
- It can be applied directly to any spills of heavy oil, meaning a very quick clean-up process
Nanobite Powder is nature’s way or dealing with nature’s problems.
How to Apply Nanobite Powder
Nanobite Powder can be applied on soil, water, rocks, marshland, beaches, lakes, rivers and railway lines, to name but a number of applications
- Analysis – Seawater and most fresh water lakes and rivers require little or no analysis – as oil floating on water is highly visible.
- Soil must be analyzed to determine the amounts of hydrocarbon (parts per million, ppm) before any applications are made. If detergents or surfactants are present they will render the Nanobite Powder ineffective.
- It is recommended to spread 1/16 inch (2mm) to 1/8 inch (4mm) of Nanobite Powder on to the top of the entire contaminated soil or water area, by sprinkling or spraying. When working large areas of contamination, a hydro-seeder is recommended
- If water is not present, apply a sprinkling of water over the entire area, keep soil moist, rain or heavy dew is sufficient for the product/microbes to work.
- Tap water is not recommended; it generally has chlorine in it and will kill the indigenous microbes preventing bio-remediation or will slow the process way down.
- Inspect the contaminated soil weekly, when the surface oil is no longer visible, till the contaminated area and reapply another layer of Nanobite Powder. Repeat the process until all of the contamination is gone. Please note: complete cleaning of the contamination can take different amounts of time depending on the level of contamination and weather conditions.
- Ph – Nanobite Powder works at its optimum when the Ph is between 3 & 8, but has worked in the 11 range. Alkalinity and Turbidity are generally not an issue; Sediment is also not an issue, though we have on occasion seen a reduction where Nanobite Powder was used.
- Nanobite Powder optimum bio-remediation performance range is 40 to 95 degrees F.
- Encapsulation or absorption occurs regardless of temperature – no restrictions.
- Test on absorption have been successfully conducted in a range of -60 to 125 degrees F.
- When Ph, purity of hydrocarbon contamination, sun, rain, etc. are at optimal levels, remediation will take place in the 34 to 110 degree F. range.
- Heat and Nanobite Powder are not totally compatible. As indicated above, Nanobite Powder works well in a wide temperature range, but the application process has some problems when something is used other than a hydro-seeder. Drop or spin spreaders will not work for very long when the temperature goes above 90 degrees F. and is generally replaced by manual applications.
- Methods of applying PRP range from a simple hand sprinkle to portable, mechanized hydro seeders.
See Case Studies
Testing of Nanobite Powder
Nanobite Powder’s initial efficacy was quantified under simulated field conditions. This efficacy study was conducted by an independent environmental technology evaluation organisation known as the National Environmental Technology Applications Corporation (NETAC). NETAC was key in the development of methods currently used by the U.S. EPA to evaluate biological methods that enhance oil spill degradation. There are five key findings of the study:
- Nanobite Powder enhances the biodegrading of diesel fuel as compared to non-stimulated natural population of micro organisms.
- Nanobite Powder treatment reduced the presence of aliphatic hydrocarbon compounds by 97% and aromatic compounds by 76%; reduction in the control product were 48% of aliphatic compounds and 5% of aromatic compounds.
- Nanobite Powder interacts with diesel fuel oil to form a matrix, producing a mixture which is solid and relatively stable.
- No enhancement in biodegradation was found in the control group of sorbents.
- Nanobite Powder used in conjunction with an absorbent and a boom, absorbs petroleum products and enhances the biodegradation of diesel fuel oil by absorption into the sorbent boom.
Nanobite Powder is now in use in multiple remediation scenarios across a wide spectrum of industries.
See Case Studies