Bioremediation is the process of using naturally occurring, safe and beneficial micro organisms (microbes) to break down environmentally harmful contaminants and turn them into non-toxic compounds. In particular, these microbes will break down most petroleum hydrocarbons and transform them into carbon dioxide (CO2) & water (H2O).
How Does This Work?
When hydrocarbons are sprayed with Oilblitz and Nanobite Liquid and Nanobite Powder, the liquid and powder bond with the the hydrocarbon and encapsulate it – essentially absorb it – into what is called a matrix.
Nanobite products work by providing a one way entry, fully biodegradable matrix into which a measured amount of hydrocarbon, air and a little water enters. This means that it gathers the oil inside the matrix and holds it there.
Microbes in the air, when trapped within the Nanobite matrix, multiply very rapidly and eat the oil, and when the oil is gone, they eat the matrix. This is “Nanotechnology” in that each Nanobite crystal is 10-11 to 10 -13 in size. For every thousand you shrink such a matrix it becomes 100% more efficient. Basically what we have is a natural greenhouse effect that remediates thousands of times faster than that which would occur in the natural environment.
This means that it gathers the oil inside the matrix and holds it there. Microbes, naturally occurring organisms break down the hydrocarbons into harmless, constituent parts in a matter of hours or days – leaving the contaminated area completely clean and uncontaminated.
What are the advantages of Bioremediation?
Bioremediation is an attractive option for the remediation of hydrocarbon contaminants. The following are a few of the advantages & reasons why you should consider this innovative process and Nanobite?
- The process is an ecologically safe and natural process. It is “nature’s way” of solving contamination problems.
- Bioremediation is hugely cost effective, with no requirement to ship detergent or chemical filled sludge off-site.
- Little disruption of surrounding, non-contaminated areas.
- Virtually no investment in “capital equipment”.
- With bioremediation you can remediate areas that are not easily accessible or are inaccessible to other technologies.
- Bioremediation can be accomplished in-place (in situ) thereby eliminating the hazard of “off site contamination caused by digging, hauling and transporting contaminants to other areas.
- Air quality and air pollution concerns from volatile chemical evaporation are eliminated.
- After bioremediation is completed, the environment is virtually restored to its pristine condition.
- The process poses no health or safety risks to your employees thereby reducing insurance costs.